Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Teachings about compassion: the parable of the good Samaritan


Here are a few thoughts about love and compassion.


One should heed the “righteous in disguise”. Since the first Century, these people existed. Times have changed, but people’s behavior remains the same.


We can still observe people who call themselves “righteous”. They will recite biblical verses by heart and stand long hours in prayer, like the Pharisee described in Luke 18:11

“The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: 'God, I thank you that I am not like other people--robbers, evildoers, adulterers or even like this tax collector.”

This type of behavior is reproduced in many communities. Usually these people brag about being more “righteous” than other people because of the numerous deeds they are accomplishing:

“I fast twice a week, and I give you a tenth of my income.”

Fools, don’t you know that the Creator reads your heart?
You might be able to trick men, but you will never bluff the Creator! On the day of His return, your pride will automatically FALL. The doctrinal disputes and the verses you are throwing at people’s faces will pierce your own hearts.

When Yeshua returns, do you think that He will argue with you about ridiculous doctrinal points? No, He will either tell you:

“I was hungry, and you gave me something to eat. I was thirsty, and you gave me something to drink. I was a stranger, and you took me into your home.

I was naked and you clothed me. I was sick, and you took care of me. I was in prison, and you came to me.”






Or “was hungry, and you gave Me nothing to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me nothing to drink; I was a stranger, and you did not invite Me in; naked, and you did not clothe Me; sick, and in prison, and you did not visit Me.”

What does Yeshua want from us?

He wants us to have a heart that is according to His.
A heart that is like our Lord’s heart is capable of showing love and compassion.
Therefore we should pray earnestly with the Psalmist:

“Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.”

Yeshua wants us to obey His command. What is His most important command?

He gives us His answer in Matthew 22:38:

“This is the first and greatest commandment:
And He said to him, "'YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND. This is the great and foremost commandment." The second is like it, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.'…

The parable of the Good Samaritan illustrates concretely the love we must show towards our neighbor.

Here is a Jewish man, who has been attacked and who lies helpless on the floor, totally wounded.

A priest and a Levite cross his road. One would have expected them to do something.
A man, who is despised and considered as an enemy to the community of Israel, passes by. He takes care of the wounded man in detail.



Compassion is superior to any other law.

Do not prompt to argue that I am defending lawlessness. My point is that compassion should always prevail before anything else.



We are invited to do what He says. This is not an option to people who truly love Him.

“If you love me, keep my commands” John 14:15


True disciples, who have Yeshua’s heart, will do their best to obey His commandments anyway, without neglecting His highest command.


Copyright©2015




No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Yeshua's trial: un unfair mascarade of justice

The holidays had just ended. I was back to school, aged 15, and  ready to meet our new religion teacher. "Another annoying guy&quo...